Monday, June 23, 2008

Yellowstone day 4

yellowstone day 4
Please go to day 1 first. Sunday June 15 another early chilly start. Day starts with wildlife observation in Lamar Valley. Two wolves are spotted near a young buffalo, cliff swallows building nests. The extra ordinary are common place here. I look around at adults with that look of wonderment on their faces generally only seen on children.
Next a hike above Pebble Creek Campground led by Wildlife Photographer Dan Hartman and his daughter Cassie. Dan and his wife Cindy and daughters are renown photographers and Yellowstone experts. He has photos and articles in National Geographic. He is also consulting with the people who did Planet Earth for a Yellowstone feature. Our trek up the woods and meadows above Pebble Creek was awesome, the pictures tell a small part of the picture. Later we move down the valley to Fishermans and observe the Bison herd in our teams. We collected data on the herd using description and pictures provided to us. A lesson in observation skills that helped me.
On a personal note, this is day four and our talking partners, ours teams, our entire group, and our leaders are awesome combination of great people. Separated by age, gender, personality,lifestyle, and NC location, united even cemented by our commonality as professional educators and our love for learning and our growing love for the place. Just a fun group to be around. Last personal note, today is father's day. Normally a day I find difficult. I spent the day feeling Casey and Courtney near by. The place translated an awesome peace to me. I know my new friends without saying a word were caring for me on the difficult day. It was a glorious day, and I only lost it once. Thanks to everyone, God continues to watch over me.

1 comment:

Big D said...

I was thinking about you and the girls that day, and wondered how you were doing. I'm glad God planted you in such a glorious location to ease your heart and mind on Father's Day.