Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Yellowstone day 8

Yellowstone day 8
Please go to day one first. Thursday, the last full day. It is sad to think it is almost over, I want it to continue on. But thinking back, I have learn some much, skills to use for a lifetime. I have grown as an educator, and a person.
An early walk around the geysers at Old Faithful, then word begins to spread Beehive is about to go off. Excitement as all rush to the site. We are rewarded with the eruptions of Beehive, and then as we watch beehive a l00 yards behind it off goes Old Faithful, we were to see and photograph the rate double. Then we were off, stopping at the Firehole canyon and seeing another Falls, and our second team head dunk.
Stopping now and then on our way back to Mammoth to observe the wildlife. I feel I have neglected mentioning the many stops all week as we observed unique collection of wildlife found at Yellowstone. Two Vans pulling into a pullout, 14 people scrambling in a ballet of coordinated movement, grabbing cameras, spotting scopes, binoculars, fingers pointing, instructions given. It was an incredible sight. Okay, the first day it was not a ballet, but it was by now. We were rewarded all week with wolf, coyote, bison, grizzly, moose,elk, pronghorn,bighorn sheep,badger, weasel, squirrel, marmot,pica,mule deer, black bear, owl, nutcracker, more duck species than I knew existed, more birds than I ever imagined, eagle, osprey, falcon,crane, swan, pelican,geese. And I have not come close to naming them all. My observation skills have increased from non-existent to hey I can do this.
The day ended at Mammoth on a hill overlooking the Valley surrounding the Gardner River. Discussing the unbelievable trip we had just taken. Thinking of that spot and looking back at the last eight days a tear comes to my eye. From this breath taking spot of peace and beauty thinking back on the time now behind us and thinking of the changes it has pressed upon my life a tear of joy, a bittersweet feeling wanting more and gratitude for what I was given overwhelm my tear ducts. Tomorrow, one last look at Lamar Valley(my vision of Eden) and then to the airport.

No comments: